To remove a kohler shower handle, locate the screw at the base of the handle and use a screwdriver to remove it. Then, pull the handle off the valve stem.
Replacing or repairing a kohler shower handle typically requires its removal. Kohler shower handles are secured in place by a single screw, making removal quick and simple. However, without a clear understanding of the process, removing a shower handle can seem overwhelming.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of removing a kohler shower handle step by step. Follow the instructions to safely remove the handle and tackle your shower repair or replacement project with confidence.
Step 1: Turn Off The Water Supply
Explanation Of How And Why To Turn Off The Water Supply
Before removing a kohler shower handle, it is critical to turn off the water supply. This simple step is essential for preventing any water damage or injuries. Here is a step-by-step guide for turning off the water supply:
- Locate the water supply valves behind the shower or bathtub. These are usually positioned on the wall close to the tub or shower.
- Turn off both the hot and cold water supply valves by twisting them clockwise until they stop. This will cut off the water supply to the kohler shower handle.
- Test the water supply valves to ensure that the water flow has stopped. Turn on the shower faucet to confirm that no water is coming out.
Safety Precautions To Keep In Mind
When dealing with plumbing repairs, safety should always be a priority. Here are some safety precautions to consider when removing a kohler shower handle:
- Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from any debris that may fall during the removal process.
- Use a non-slip mat or towel to prevent slipping while working in the shower or bathtub area.
- Turn off the power supply to any electrical devices nearby, such as lights or fans, to avoid the risk of electric shock.
- Make sure that the shower or bathtub area is well-lit to prevent accidents.
Remember to always prioritize safety when working with plumbing repairs, as it can prevent accidents and injuries.
By following these steps and safety precautions, you can remove a kohler shower handle effectively and without any damage to your plumbing fixtures.
Step 2: Locate The Set Screw
Description Of Where The Set Screw May Be Located
Removing a kohler shower handle may seem like a daunting task, but it can actually be quite simple if you know what you’re doing. The first step is to locate the set screw, which is often the most challenging part of the process.
The set screw is a small screw that holds the faucet handle to the valve stem. To locate the set screw, follow these steps:
- Look for a small hole on the underside or back of the handle.
- Check the base of the handle to see if there is a removable decorative cap that hides the screw.
- If you can’t find the screw on the handle, check the escutcheon plate on the wall behind the handle. The screw may be located here instead.
Once you’ve located the set screw, you can move on to the next step in the process.
Tips For Finding And Removing The Screw
Now that you know where the set screw is located, it’s time to remove it. Here are some tips to help you find and remove the screw:
- Use a flashlight to help you locate the screw. If it’s dark or hard to see, shining a flashlight can make it easier to find.
- Use a small screwdriver or allen wrench to remove the screw. Make sure the tool you use is the right size for the screw.
- If the screw is stuck or won’t budge, try spraying it with a penetrating oil like wd-40 to loosen it.
- Be gentle when removing the screw to avoid damaging it or the surrounding parts. Use slow, steady pressure to turn the screw counterclockwise until it comes loose.
- Once the screw is removed, the handle should come off easily. If not, try gently pulling or wiggling the handle until it comes free.
By following these tips, you should be able to locate and remove the set screw on your kohler shower handle without too much trouble. If you run into any issues, don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional plumber for assistance.
Step 3: Remove The Handle
Techniques For Removing The Handle From The Valve Stem
Removing the kohler shower handle may seem like a daunting task, but it can be done with just a few simple steps. Here are some techniques that you can try to safely remove the handle from the valve stem.
- Technique #1: Use a screwdriver
One of the easiest ways to remove the kohler shower handle is to use a screwdriver. Follow these steps:
- Step 1: Locate the screw on the underside of the handle.
- Step 2: Use a screwdriver to remove the screw.
- Step 3: Carefully pull the handle off the valve stem.
- Technique #2: Use a lubricant
If the kohler shower handle is stuck or difficult to remove, you can try using a lubricant. Follow these steps:
- Step 1: Apply a liberal amount of lubricant (such as wd-40) to the handle and valve stem.
- Step 2: Wait for a few minutes to allow the lubricant to penetrate.
- Step 3: Attempt to remove the handle using technique #1.
- Technique #3: Use pliers
In some cases, the kohler shower handle may be stuck and difficult to remove with a screwdriver. In such situations, you can try using pliers. Follow these steps:
- Step 1: Locate the set screw on the handle.
- Step 2: Use a screwdriver to loosen the screw.
- Step 3: Carefully grip the base of the kohler shower handle with pliers.
- Step 4: Gently wiggle and pull the handle to remove it from the valve stem.
Warnings Against Using Excessive Force
While removing the kohler shower handle may require a bit of strength, it is important to exercise caution and avoid using excessive force. Here are some important warnings to keep in mind:
- Warning #1: Do not use excessive force when removing the kohler shower handle as this can damage the valve stem.
- Warning #2: If you encounter resistance when attempting to remove the handle, try using a lubricant or pliers to help loosen it.
- Warning #3: Be careful not to scratch or damage the finish on the kohler shower handle or valve stem while removing the handle.
- Warning #4: Always consult the kohler shower manual or manufacturer’s website for specific instructions on how to remove the handle for your particular model.
Step 4: Remove The Trim Plate
Explanation Of How To Locate And Remove The Trim Plate
The step-by-step process of disassembling your kohler shower handle can be a daunting task, but the results are worth it. Once you locate and remove the trim plate, you can easily access the cartridge and fix any issues. Here is a detailed explanation of how to remove the trim plate:
- Look for a small notch or slot on the bottom edge of the trim plate.
- Insert a flathead screwdriver or a trim removal tool into the notch or slot.
- Gently pry the trim plate away from the wall–it should come off easily.
Tools Needed For This Step
Removing the trim plate is a critical step in your kohler shower handle removal. Here are the tools you’ll need to accomplish this step:
- Flathead screwdriver or trim removal tool: Depressions in the trim plate are where you’ll most likely insert this tool.
- Gloves: It’s always a good idea to wear gloves when working with plumbing fixtures.
- A soft cloth: Use it to wipe off grime and debris from the trim plate and handle.
With these precautions and tools in hand, you should be able to remove the trim plate with ease. Remember to handle your parts carefully, as you could damage them if you are too rough.
Step 5: Access The Valve Cartridge
Steps To Access The Valve Cartridge
After successfully removing the kohler shower handle, you can easily access the valve cartridge in just a few simple steps. Here’s how:
- Remove the bonnet: The bonnet is the cap that holds the cartridge in place. You can remove it using a wrench or pliers.
- Unscrew the retaining clip: This clip keeps the cartridge secure in the valve body. Gently unscrew it and set it aside.
- Take out the cartridge: Using pliers, pull the cartridge out of the valve body. Be sure to hold it by the edges to avoid any damage.
Tips For Handling The Cartridge Carefully
When removing and handling the cartridge, it’s important to proceed with care so as not to cause any damage. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Check for any cracks: Before removing the cartridge, check for any cracks or damage. If you notice any, it’s best to replace the entire cartridge.
- Clean the cartridge: Use a soft-bristled brush to clean any debris or mineral buildup on the cartridge. Be sure not to use any harsh chemicals as they can cause damage.
- Lubricate the cartridge: Use silicone grease to lubricate the cartridge before reinstalling it. This will help prevent any leaks and ensure smooth operation.
- Align the cartridge properly: When reinstalling the cartridge, be sure to align it properly with the valve body. Use the retaining clip to secure it in place.
Accessing the valve cartridge on your kohler shower handle is a simple task that can be done with a few basic tools. Just be sure to handle the cartridge with care, cleaning and lubricating it before reinstalling it to prevent any leaks.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to successfully remove and reinstall your shower handle in no time!
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Remove Kohler Shower Handle
How Do I Remove A Kohler Shower Handle?
To remove a kohler shower handle, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the water supply. 2. Use a screwdriver to remove the screw located under the screw cover. 3. Lift the handle off the faucet. 4. Use pliers to remove the retaining clip. 5. Remove the sleeve and the bonnet.
What Tools Do I Need To Remove The Kohler Shower Handle?
To remove a kohler shower handle, you will need a few tools, including a screwdriver, pliers, and a hex wrench.
How Do I Know What Type Of Kohler Shower Handle I Have?
The best way to determine which kohler shower handle you have is to refer to your kohler installation manual or contact kohler customer service.
Do I Need To Turn Off The Water Supply Before Removing The Kohler Shower Handle?
Yes, it is important to turn off the water supply before removing the kohler shower handle to prevent water from spraying out.
Can I Remove The Kohler Shower Handle Without A Screwdriver?
No, removing a kohler shower handle requires a screwdriver. It is an essential tool needed to remove the screw that holds the handle in place.
Can I Remove The Kohler Shower Handle Myself Or Should I Call A Professional?
You can remove the kohler shower handle yourself by following the proper steps, but if you are unsure of what to do, it is best to call a professional plumber to avoid any damage to your shower handle or plumbing system.
Finally, removing a kohler shower handle is an essential task that must be carried out with care. With these steps mentioned above, you can easily remove your kohler shower handle without stressing yourself unnecessarily. It is important to note that any mistake made during the process may result in further damage to your shower handle.
Therefore, be extra careful when following the steps listed above. Also, it is important to consider safety precautions such as switching off the water supply to the shower before embarking on this task. Don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional plumber if you feel overwhelmed or unsure of the task.
Remember, a properly functioning shower handle allows for an uninterrupted shower experience and taking proper care of it will help to prevent further problems that may be costly to fix.